July 12, 2022 - reviewed by thenauticalnun
We loved this place! Spacious, private campsites with electric hookups. No traffic noise since the campground is more than a mile up the road/hill from visitors center. Nice bathhouse, although only 2 shower stalls. Trails from campground take you straight to the waterfalls. Drinking water near bathhouse, recycling, trash. No dump or RV water fill but free stations for both in Silver Bay off of City Shop Rd (also at Cascade River SP). Parking near visitors center for easy trails access to Shovel Point and Cascade Falls (highly recommend) and to the river mouth. Lots of stairs and hilly on most trails. Camping check in at visitors center (there's a 15min lane on the road to the bridge in front of building if parking lots are full). Will definitely return!
September 18, 2021 - reviewed by Gary
So Good But So Bad
There are so many good things about this campground. It’s a shame the Minnesota DNR ruins it by not taking care of the roads. First the good things:
1. The campsites are big and private
2. There are many great hiking trails in the park area around the campground.
3. The bathrooms and showers are as clean as any you will find.
4. One of the nicest visitors centers anyplace
Things not so good
1. The mile plus road from the visitors center to the campground is one long frost heave. Don’t even think of going 20 mph, the speed limit, or you will regret it. The road is not marked once you turn off of 62. Just keep right and cross the bridge
2. Once you hit the campground road it gets 10 times worse. The number of potholes and ruts and washouts are too numerous to count. You will most likely need a front end alignment when you leave.
3. There is NO dump station in the campground. The nearest one is back south in Silver Bay. Not sure what you do if you are heading northbound on 61.
October 19, 2020 - reviewed by Jeff Keefe
Everything you'd want from a state park. Only downside is there's no dump station at the park. (There is a free public dump station in silver Bay)
July 2, 2019 - reviewed by Fun Finder 24
Close To The Action
We booked this site 10 months ago for a busy time of year and many sites were already booked. The sites are private, the bathrooms are sufficient, and the location is a short walk to two great waterfalls and a suspension bridge across the river. We’ll be back.
June 13, 2019 - reviewed by Camp Cruser
Check in is at the visitors center then you have to get back on the highway to camp. Ice and wood is only at the visitor center so be prepared. The falls are amazing! Lots of steps so be ready for a workout. Camping is great sites a spread out really far ! Would camp here again!
June 12, 2018 - reviewed by Gunder
Nice Camp Sites
Make your Reservations early we booked a year in advance but it was well worth it great campsites with side area for picnicking beautiful bathrooms overall great stay